Thursday, February 5, 2009

Love Rain

Last night (or tonight) I was sitting and listening to one of my favorite poets, Jill Scott. Her first LP, Who Is Jill Scott? - Words and Sounds Volume 1. I got stuck on the track that owns the same title as today's (tonight's) post. Having heard the song a million and three times, something she said stood out to me and then made the rest of the song/poem all the more profound. "Now me non-clairvoyant and in love made the coochie easy and the obvious invisible." I froze for a moment thinking as usual. Damn! To realize how true it is. When we reach that point of love - even if just the foretaste, it seems to make the things we need to pay close attention to, the things that have their arms flailing, screaming "look at me" or "something's not right here," the things that we should heed before getting in too deep . . . for some reason love blinds us to the obvious. Why is that? Now I'm not blaming love for failed relationships or ill decisions or things that went ignored but I do know that I'm not the only one that this has happened to. So, I'll ask again, why oh why do we allow the IDEA of LOVE to blind us to the things that are sure-fire warnings that this isn't . . . good love?

1 comment:

Ashley M. said...

Well though my response is short I will say that I don't think that it is love that blinds us.....I think that it is another "L" word......lonely or "loneliness" and "alone" are two very different things but I will say that love and being alone are better friends than love and lonely. Lonely reaches, looks extra hard, is unsettled, yet will settle for anything and because it's cunning it will sabotage and say love did this. Being lonely is tricky........i'm out!

~submitted by rockwill0426 via emailed response