Monday, June 8, 2009

Get Lost! - Testament of Humanity

Those two words may sound brutally abrasive and mildly aggressive but those two words have new meaning to me. I came across one (of many) incredibly gripping lines at the tale end of the book that I just finished. The main character is dealing with some internal and external situations and decides to take a sabbatical from people. You've got to read the book to really understand her need to do this. In the process she finds herself.... finding herself. I was very emotional reading the last two chapters. Mainly because I identify with her on an emotional and relational level. As the book drew to a close she said, "You have to lose yourself to find yourself." This is when the tears began to flow and I kept repeating that over and over again to myself. "You have to lose yourself to find yourself."

We've all found ourselves lost in love, financial hardship, emotional detriment, bad friendships, abusive relationships, careers, heartbreak... We get lost. It's called HUMANNESS. The trick is to not stay lost. Getting lost is the first part. The necessary part. The first necessary part of the process. If you don't get lost, there's nothing for you to learn or... find. You don't want to get lost so much so that you can't find the true you - the beautifully human you.

As I sat here typing this, I thought about something my dad used to tell me long before I started driving. We'd gotten lost on one of the many long roads in Raleigh and I started getting figgity, anxious, and nervous. I don't remember what I said but I'm sure it was along the lines of, "Daddy, are you lost?" or "Do you know where we are?" I'll never forget what he said, "I'm just a little turned around but all I have to do is keep straight. I'll find my way." And funnily enough, he always did.

So, the next time you hear someone say, "Get lost!" Don't get offended... get to work! Get to work finding you. That's all. I hope your Tuesday is fantabulous! Love, love, love!

No comments: