Monday, April 7, 2008

Giving up prematurely

It’s ironic how the words of the wise fall on deaf ears. Often times we take for granted or, better still, under estimate the wisdom of our elders. This weekend I attended an event and shortly realized that I was at a seniors home. I happened upon a woman in a wheelchair perched by the elevator. You know, one of those that goes ignored or passers by like to pretend isn’t there and I’m not ashamed to admit that I, in deed, tried my hardest to pretend I didn’t see her. I stood in the area where she was a few feet away from her and she struck up a conversation with me. Mind you my back was turned but she didn’t seem to care. First small talk and then she went deep on me. We somehow got on the subject of relationships and she uttered the most profound thing that I’d heard in a while. She seemed to read into my body language and could tell that I had a lot on my mind. She said, "When you’re eating and you bite your tongue, you don’t cut your tongue out and throw it away do you? No, because you still need it." Often times in relationships we get to a place where the man or the woman may not be "acting right". But that isn’t to say that we need to walk away prematurely or cut that "situation" out of our lives completely. Especially if your heart is in it. This doesn’t mean that staying in an unhealthy relationship is wise. But when a "situation" is pulling at your heart strings it hurts, it stings, and it may be uncomfortable, but the beauty of that is . . . in time it heals.

No comments: